With Christmas over it now seems appropriate to talk about holiday movies. Like I always say "Why do it before when you can do it after?" Let's begin with the classic "Home Alone".
First of all what kind of mother forgets her own child? I know it happens but seriously. And does anyone else hate Uncle Frank as much as I do? "Look whatcha did you little jerk" has got to be the most famous line in that movie and the most horrifying. Who speaks to an eight year old that way? Furthermore, who lets someone speak to an eight year old that way? What Kevin's family needed was a dose of their own medicine but it never seems to come that far. When everyone arrives home there are no tears just a couple slaps on the back and an unceremonious "I'm so sorry" from Kevin's mother. The boy deserves to be praised and yet we know that Buzz is going to give him a beat down the second those credits start to roll. It's always the youngest one that gets the most crap and the least appreciation. It's always their fault when something goes wrong but we all know that the youngest one is being bullied by their older counterparts. And the adults are no exception, right Uncle Frank?
Let me pose this question: I get why Christmas music is off limits once Christmas is over but why holiday movies? Or am I wrong thinking that once Christmas ends so do the holiday movies? How many times do you watch "A Christmas Story" or "How the Grinch stole Christmas"after the holiday? Maybe we avoid movies with the word "christmas" in them. For example I could watch "Elf" at anytime of the year but "A Christmas Story" not so much. Perhaps that's because TBS airs it for twenty-four hours Christmas eve/day and I watch it in and out. It may forever remain a mystery to me. Maybe one of my New Years resolutions should be to watch holiday movies in say, February, and see how it makes me feel. Luckily, I have just enough free time to stick in something completely useless. Yay for me!
First of all, I thought Home Alone was a documentary. It's fiction? Secondly, it is one of the many privileges of being an adult that you can buy all the candy you want from the penny candy store, stock up on potato chips and Mountain Dew, and watch any movie you want at any time of the year without your parents walking in on the kissing, on screen or off. Viva La Revolution!
ReplyDelete